Comprehending SNMPv3 Security
By Shawn Routhier, Wind River Systems and Chris Wellens, InterWorking Labs
The goal of this white paper is to help computer users, network administrators, and security specialists understand the components of SNMPv3 security and how they work together. This paper does not discuss the pros and cons of any of the security algorithms commonly used with SNMPv3 or their underlying mathematics.
Key Topics Covered:
- What was wrong with security in SNMP?
- How does SNMPv3 fix the security problems?
- Configuring the engine ID
- Configuring Users for the SNMPv3 Device
- How does a user access the SNMPv3 agent?
- Reasons to Use or Not Use Privacy
- Special Case Devices Use ContextEngineID and ContextName
- How does the SNMPv3 agent process the message from the management application?
- Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv1, SNMPv2, SNMPv3)