Many people assume that ICMP Echo, more familiar as" ping", is a valid tool for measuring the performance and behavior of the internet.
That assumption is incorrect. Ping is a tool of value mainly for determining whether connectivity exists or not. Ping is a weak tool for measuring delay, variation in delay (jitter), and throughput.
Key Topics Covered:
- What are ICMP and ICMP Echo?
- How does Ping work
- What does Ping do well?
- What does Ping do poorly?
- What are the alternatives to Ping?
- Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
- User Datagram Protocol (UDP)